Monday, April 13, 2009

The Broken Road Journey Begins

The first time I read Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller I was struck by how Don described his journey of faith in chapter one. This is what Don said: “I am early in my story, but I believe I will stretch out into eternity, and in heaven I will reflect upon these early days, these days when it seemed God was down a dirt road, walking toward me. Years ago He was a swinging speck in the distance; now He is close enough I can hear His singing. Soon I will see the lines on His face.”

We Christians find ourselves walking along a dirt road towards God. A lot of Christians say that the Christian life is "walking the straight and narrow". I get what they are saying. That might be their story, that might be their path. I know that that my road, my journey has been anything but straight and easy road.

My road is crooked, bent, bumpy, and broken broken. I’ve hike up to soaring mountaintops, only to plunge into dark, dangerous canyons and valleys. Along the road robbers are perched just waiting to beat me up and leave me on the road waiting for a Good Samaritan. Yet there are grassy plains, and easy paths through rolling hills. And I think that it is good that my road has been so broken. For me it has been vitally important to go through these valleys, to face the robbers, and to get lost. I know that I am not alone on this broken road. So many people find themselves along this broken road.

So this is where I am; on a broken road, winding my way through life. I don't know how far away God is. But it won't be long before I get to see the lines in his face. So that is what this blog is all about; me writing about my journey called life. I don't even know if anyone is going to read this, or if they will care. But the point of this is not to gain a wide reading, rather the point is to tell my story, because there is so much restoration and power in sharing your story. I invite you to come along and journey with me.

--

Grace and Peace,

Justin Friel

1 comment:

Angel H said...

hey, looks cool. keep posting links on facebook to remind me to check it, lol, and i'll try and keep up.