Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Why I was born...

“Thank you. This helped so much” He said with tears in his eyes. We hugged and I told him I loved him, and that I was here for him. I left Dave’s (not his real name) house I got into my car and with tears in my eyes whispered: “Thank you God.” I left Dave’s neighborhood and drove the extra-extra long way home with windows down, cool hair blowing through the car and worship music blaring. I was thanking God because that night God leaned down and whispered in my ear: “This is what I made you for, this is what I called you to. Do it. Be it. Chase it.”

Dave and I met a while ago, and he is one of a group of guys that I am making time for within my week to just “be with.” Some of these relationships are me listening to them vent about life. Some our us chewing on issues and problems, and dreaming about what’s next in our lives. But with Dave I usually just listen. I spend maybe 5% of our time together talking, asking him questions, and giving my opinion. With most the guys I didn’t purposely approach them and ask to share life with them. It just kind of happened. I was already friends with them and we started to be intentional about setting aside time to share life together. It seemed accidental, but I believe in a God that moves in ways that seem accidental, but in reality are masterfully woven together.

I was driving home from my graduate classes in Chattanooga last week when I realized, that what I am doing with these guys is exactly what I dream of doing. I am doing what I’m called to, and I didn’t even realize it. And when I talked to my mentor about it later in the week it was affirmed again. That I looked up and without even realizing it had stumbled along the path that was following God in the calling he had placed on my life.

William Barclay once said “There are two great days in a person’s life – the day we are born and the day we discover why.” I’ve been dreaming about and thinking about what I was made for, what my calling was for a long time now. But it wasn’t until that night with Dave that it was actualized, it was the testimony of Dave, and the testimony of God that affirmed and confirmed that this is why I was born.

One of my favorite quotes in the world come from Fredrick Buechner, he says “The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.” For me, helping people. Entering into the midst of their life and simply “being there” Coming alongside the broken and the hurting. Dreaming out loud with people, bouncing ideas off each other. Celebrating where God is wining and seeking out where he is moving. Helping people connect the dots. These things are my deep and abiding gladness.

Saying “I love you” to someone who hasn’t heard it without conditions attached. Saying “I’m proud of you” to someone desperately wants to please. Sitting with someone as they share with you their darkest sins, their deepest hurt, and staying with them and showing them they are love, that they are not their mistakes, that they are still a beautiful and wonderful person. Showing someone Christ, seeing with his eyes, loving with his heart, speaking with his tongue, and binding up the broken hearted with his hands, heart breaking where his heart would break. That my brothers and sisters, that is the worlds deep hunger.

It is as the intersection of these two streams that I find myself. For me, for my calling and in my life this looks like becoming a counselor and sex therapist. It looks like becoming a spiritual director and mentor to men. It’s a journey that God has been calling me to for most of my life, even though at times I misheard the call and wandered off. I’m excited to chase after God in this, and I’m excited to reflect on it and share more of it here on my blog.

May you find the intersection of you deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger.

May you have the day when you wake up and realize why you were made.

May you be the voice, heart, hands and feet of Christ.

May you some day look up and realize you are in the midst of doing what God made you to do.

Grace and Peace,

Justin Friel

1 comment:

Megan said...

This is wonderful, Friel.